“I don’t run away from nothing, I run to it,” says Gemma, the quietly resilient teenager at the center of Scheme Birds. Few would blame her for doing the reverse, having been abandoned in infanthood by her parents in the harsh projects of Motherwell, a deprived, lusterless Scottish town a few miles outside Glasgow.
Hot with an eye and ear for poetry in the pavement cracks, Scheme Birds recalls in its best passages the outsider affinity and sensory, symbol-heavy aesthetic of Andrea Arnold’s narrative cinema; as a feature-length debut for Swedish duo Ellen Fiske and Ellinor Hallin, it’s a work of major promise.
Their bracing nonnative perspective is subtly felt throughout a caught-in-the-margins study that evokes working-class life with great textural specificity, but no self-consciously gritty posturing. With only Gemma’s low-key, sometimes wistfully perceptive voiceover as our guide through events, meanwhile, political commentary is mostly left for the audience to infer.
Guy Lodge, Variety
- Elokuvan nimi / Film Title : Scheme Birds
- Kieli / Language : English
- Tekstitys / Subtitles : English
- Ohjaaja / Director : Ellen Fiske, Ellinor Hallin
- Tuotantomaa / Production Country : Sweden, Scotland
- Vuosi / Year : 2019
- Pituus (min) / Length (min) : 86
- Ikäraja / Age limit : K16
- Esitysformaatti / Format : DCP
- Kuvaaja / Cinematographer : Ellinor Hallin
- Leikkaus / Editing : Hanna Lejonqvist SFK
- Musiikki / Music : Charlie Jefferson, Loki, Jim Sutherland, Christoffer Meier
- Tuottaja / Producer : Ruth Reid, Mario Adamson
- Tuotantoyhtiö / Production Company : Sisyfos Film Production AB, GID Films
- Esitysajat / Screenings :
Mon 27.1. at 17.30, Maxim 2
Thu 30.1. at 17.00, Kinopalatsi 8
Sat 1.2. at 19.30, Kinopalatsi 7