Every year, approximately 100 people in Finland lose their life through homicide. Each victim is survived by a group of people, whose grief is mixed with accusations and despair. The irreversible act often remains incomprehensible to the bereaved; what happened and why?
Eye to Eye is a film about the victims’ loved ones, who try to find closure in their lives. They take part in restorative dialogue, a process aimed at alleviating trauma symptoms. The bereaved prepare to meet the person who took the life of their loved one. Meetings take place only if the perpetrator feels remorse for the crime.
The film reminds us of society’s responsibility to see to the consequences caused by these shocking acts to communities and families. The effects of extreme acts remain, even after the legal penalties have been enforced. Both the prisoners and the bereaved need help.
After long preparations, a mother who has lost her child sits across the table from the person who killed her daughter. Together, they share something that neither can carry alone.
Translation: Liina Härkönen
DocPoint IMPACT participant of the year 2019!
What IMPACT? Read more here.
- Elokuvan nimi / Film Title : Eye to Eye
- Kieli / Language : Finnish
- Tekstitys / Subtitles : English
- Ohjaaja / Director : John Webster
- Tuotantomaa / Production Country : Finland
- Vuosi / Year : 2020
- Pituus (min) / Length (min) : 73
- Ikäraja / Age limit : K12
- Esitysformaatti / Format : DCP
- Kuvaaja / Cinematographer : Jan Nyman
- Leikkaus / Editing : Tuuli Kuittinen
- Musiikki / Music : Olav R. Øyehaug
- Tuottaja / Producer : John Webster
- Tuotantoyhtiö / Production Company : JW Documentaries
- Alkuperäinen nimi / Title in Original Language : Silmästä silmään
- Esitysajat / Screenings :
Thu 30.1. at 18.00, Bio Rex, followed by a Q&A with director John Webster (in Finnish)
Fri 31.1. at 19.00, Kinopalatsi 5, followed by a Q&A with director John Webster (in Finnish)