Shot over a period of three years in her own home, Archana Atul Phadke’s amusing feature-length doc isn’t “all about love” but more modestly About Love, focusing on one extended family – her own – and making no pretense to finding that elusive emotion. Constant bickering and low-level tension characterize this closely knit crew. Laughter alternates with tears, a death and a wedding, and by the surprising end of the film, you feel you know the inner workings of two long-term marriages.
Much of About Love takes place in bedrooms, in bed and in other intimate situations. In such long-term relationships, more telling than the constant verbal quarreling are little gestures that show the underlying love family members have for each other. It’s a small, unpretentious film about ordinary people, but Phadke achieves a nice balance, based on her respect for each family member as a person. Her critical observations emerge naturally, without overt editorializing.
Deborah Young, The Hollywood Reporter
- Elokuvan nimi / Film Title : About Love
- Kieli / Language : Marathi, English
- Tekstitys / Subtitles : English
- Ohjaaja / Director : Archana Atul Phadke
- Tuotantomaa / Production Country : India
- Vuosi / Year : 2019
- Pituus (min) / Length (min) : 91
- Ikäraja / Age limit : S
- Esitysformaatti / Format : DCP
- Kuvaaja / Cinematographer : Archana Atul Phadke
- Leikkaus / Editing : Archana Atul Phadke, Abhay Kumar
- Musiikki / Music : Shane Mendonsa
- Tuottaja / Producer : Archana Atul Phadke
- Tuotantoyhtiö / Production Company : Tesla's Pigeon, Storyteller Ink.
- Esitysajat / Screenings :
Mon 27.1. at 19.15, Kinopalatsi 7
Sat 1.2. at 17.00, Maxim 1
Sun 2.2. at 17.00, Kinopalatsi 7